We all have a favorite heroine, a woman who kicks a serious amount of butt and inspires us to be better than we are. So far, Legendary Women, Inc. has celebrated the female characters who already exist. Now we, along with Random Acts, are asking our readers to create some of their own! You have until November 30, 2012 to enter our contest so please check out the rules below!
We're hosting a literary contest in order to encourage the creation of strong female protagonists. The top prize includes posting the story on the site, an author interview with the winning writer, and fifty dollars (US). Second and third place finishers will also have their stories posted here in the run up to the grand prize winner being posted, but they will not receive a monetary prize or an interview. For more information, please read all the rules below. They're all crucial to ensuring that you submit the best quality of work, as well as work that qualifies for our contest.
Also, as this is just the first contest, we hope to have others in the future. We're interested in doing contests for memoirs/autobiographical fiction and for sex positive fiction, but this contest isn't about those types of stories. Still, watch out for them in the future!
- There is no fee to enter.
- Writers of all genders are eligible. We want to celebrate strong female characters, but we also want individuals who identify as men to feel encouraged to write those characters too! So, again, anyone can submit as long as the story fits our guidelines.
- Board members for Legendary Women, Inc. and Random Acts are not eligible. Similarly, the families of LW and RA board members are not allowed to enter. Finally, the judges and their families are prohibited from entering.
- Authors submitting works must be 16+ years old.
- All entries MUST be received via email to our account by 11:59 pm Pacific Standard (US) time.
- Stories that have been submitted elsewhere CAN be submitted, as long as it is the original work of the author. We would like stories that have been submitted to other markets and rejected/unpublished or stories that are currently being submitted to other markets as well. We do NOT want previously published stories.
- Stories must feature a female protagonist.
- We include transgender women under the blanket of female protagonist. Transwomen are women.
- For this first contest, original fiction only please. Due to copyright issues, no plagiarized works or fanfiction will be eligible to win.
- Currently, while we are sex positive, this is not an erotica contest.
- One entry per author.
- Stories must be between 1k and 5k. (There are NO exceptions to this rule. It must be five thousand words maximum. This is a short story contest and first chapters of novels will NOT be read or opened.)
- We will not accept stories that contain prejudice against different races, religions, sexual orientations, physical abilities, or genders. If a character is overcoming antagonists who are bigoted, we understand but no GLORIFICATION of bigotry is permitted/no stories endorsing hate as their main message.
- R-rated language is permitted, but again, no slurs permitted.
1. Please try and stick to standard fonts. We'd prefer Calibri, Arial, or Times New Roman in black font and 10-12 pt. size. It just makes it easier to read. You won't be penalized or anything if not in this format but do make it as easy to read as possible.
2) We'd also prefer the formatting be double spaced.
3) Please number the pages. You SHOULD NOT put your name on each page but adding page numbers to the top of each page will also help us keep things organized.
4) MOST IMPORTANT - not all of us have the same type of computers, nor do our judges. We are requiring that all files be sent as .rtf
We will NOT open or judge files that are sent in any other format. It must be .rtf so, whether it's Mac or a PC file, we can read and open it.
Entries will be accepted November 1st - 30th. The board of directors will spend until January 6, 2012, narrowing down the entries to five finalists. Then these five will be sent to a panel of judges to evaluate from January 7-January the 29, 2012. Winners will be announced on the site on February 1, 2012. Afterwards, arrangements will be made with the winning authors to set up their story posting schedule. As stated above, the third place will be initially posted, and we'll lead up to the grand prize winner last (build that anticipation)!
The first place winner will receive $50 and their story and author interview will be posted on our website*.
Second and third place winners do not have a monetary prize, but their stories will also be posted on the website.
Send all entries to email@example.com.
If you have other questions or need clarifications, please feel free to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
We also want to thank Random Acts for being a co-sponsor with us in the promotion and judging of this event. Please check out their site to see their work and all they do for the community, as well as ways you can help them in their mission!